Carrington College Veterinary Technology prepares students to perform clinical work. This includes carrying out various medical tests and treating medical conditions and diseases in animals while working under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian. Veterinary technicians and technologists perform a range of clinical, caregiving, and laboratory duties.
Depending on your school’s requirements for a certificate, diploma, or degree, a veterinary technology program may take up to two years to finish.
Student Life at Carrington College-San Leandro
You can find the San Leandro campus of Carrington College at the Bayfair Mall, just across the street from a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system station.
How Many Students are Accepted per Year
Two hundred fifty-nine undergraduate students are the total enrollment at Carrington college San Leandro. The Carrington college acceptance rate is 92%. Popular majors include veterinary technician and assistant, dental assistant, and medical assistant.
Admission Criteria for US Students (Who Can Apply)
The following are the requirements for admission to Carrington College. You must complete the application process through the Carrington College Student portal.
You will need a transcript from your high school. Scores on the SAT or ACT are not a requirement or even necessary. A certain grade point average or rank in high school is not necessary.
Admission Criteria for Foreign Students
The college does not have any international students.
Educational Opportunities (Which Programs They Offer)
The following are Carrington College programs;
Associate Degree in Nursing
The associate’s degree in nursing program at Carrington equips graduates to aid in people’s well-being in a high-impact, fast-paced environment. You will learn:
- Maternal child nursing.
- Medical surgical nursing.
- Community and mental health nursing.
While working, registered nurses require less supervision and have more authority. According to the BLS, most registered nurses collaborate with doctors and other healthcare professionals as a team.
Specific job responsibilities vary by employer and employment setting; for instance, an RN working in a residential care facility would have different duties than a nurse in an emergency department. Some registered nurses supervise licensed practical nurses, nursing assistants, and home health aides. An RN typically performs the following tasks:
- Evaluate the health of patients.
- Note the symptoms and medical histories of patients.
- Monitor patients and note your findings.
- Dispense medications and therapies to patients
- Create patient care plans or add information to ones that already exist.
- Speak with and work together with physicians and other medical specialists.
- Run and keep an eye on medical equipment.
- Participate in diagnostic procedures and result from the analysis.
- Explain how to treat ailments or injuries to patients and their families.
- Describe what to do at home following treatment.
Practical Nursing / Vocational Nursing
Graduates of Carrington’s Practical Nursing and Vocational Nursing programs are ready to enter the nursing workforce in entry-level positions. You will learn the following:
- Medical surgical nursing.
- Mental health nursing.
- Pediatric nursing.
- Anatomy and Physiology.
The type of nursing you practice and the state where you determine the specifics of your employment requirements. An LPN or LVN’s typical tasks include:
- Check patients’ oxygen saturation levels, heart rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure to monitor their health.
- Administer fundamental patient care, which includes putting in catheters and changing dressings.
- Assisting patients with basic comforts like getting dressed or bathing.
- Talk with them about the care they are receiving and pay attention to their worries.
- Inform doctors and registered nurses of a patient’s condition and any concerns.
- Maintaining patient health records.
Medical Radiography (X-ray)
The Medical Radiography program at Carrington gives aspiring radiologic technologists the knowledge and abilities to create medical images of the human body using diagnostic-level radiation and equipment. You will learn;
- Radiographic procedures.
- Quality control.
A radiologic technician’s typical tasks include:
- Taking care of patients involves asking about their medical history and addressing their questions regarding the operation they are undergoing.
- Getting patients ready by situating them correctly for imaging and covering non-imaging body parts with shields.
- Using the computerized apparatus to take the pictures.
- Generating high-quality photos that doctors can utilize to make a diagnosis.
- Maintain imaging equipment by adjusting it.
The role is the same whether you refer to it as a medical radiographer, X-ray technician, or radiologic technologist; the sense of fulfillment one experiences in this developing healthcare area is also the same. Learn what an X-ray technician does, why it might be the best career choice for you, and the education required to become one by using this guide.
With surgical technology, you can earn your certificate of achievement and prepare for future surgical technology employment. You will learn;
- Basic surgical procedures.
- Surgical case management.
- Advanced surgical procedures.
- Introduction to surgical technology.
The surgical technologists on a healthcare team are essential. Maintaining the sterility of surgical instruments and personnel is a crucial task. To lower the risk of postoperative infections in patients, surgical technologists assist in maintaining a sterile environment. The BLS lists the following as common responsibilities for surgical technologists:
- Setting up operating rooms for procedures.
- Cleaning instruments and making sure there are enough surgical materials available.
- Getting patients ready for surgery, like cleaning and sterilizing incision sites.
- Providing instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons while they operate.
- Counting supplies, such as surgical tools, to make sure that patients don’t retain any alien objects.
- Keeping the area sanitary to prevent patient infection.
A surgeon is methodically operating on a patient. There are many medical professionals in the room. You could have an interest in training to become a surgical technician.
To ensure that the operating room is optimal for surgery, surgical technologists perform a crucial function in hospitals and surgical facilities. They work under the supervision of doctors, nurses, or other surgical employees.
Respiratory Care Program
Graduates from Carrington University’s Respiratory Care program prepare to work in various medical settings, assisting patients with breathing and other respiratory issues. You will learn the following;
- Cardiac and respiratory anatomy and physiology.
- Intubation and airway clearance.
- Chest tubes and tracheostomy care.
- Patient examination, assessment, and treatment planning.
People who have problems breathing receive therapy from respiratory therapists. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, occupational lung disorders, and pulmonary hypertension are a few of the most prevalent chronic respiratory illnesses.
The World Health Organization’s most recent statistics show that 3.23 million people died from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in 2019 and that over 262 million people had asthma worldwide.
Respiratory therapists treat everyone from premature infants with underdeveloped lungs to elderly patients with damaged lungs and common respiratory patients like those mentioned above. According to the BLS3, respiratory therapists can also help patients with heart attacks, drowning, or shock. A respiratory therapist’s typical employment responsibilities include:
- Speaking with and assessing patients who have respiratory or cardiovascular issues.
- Consulting doctors while creating patient treatment plans.
- Carrying out diagnostic procedures, such as determining lung capacity.
- Using various techniques to treat patients, such as chest physical therapy and aerosol medicines.
- Tracking and documenting patients’ advancement.
- Teaching patients how to use devices like ventilators and drugs.
One may argue that breathing is the most significant thing in the world. This explains why a career as a respiratory therapist appeals to so many people. Respiratory therapists treat patients with acute or chronic illnesses like pneumonia or asthma to help them breathe easier.
Learn more about this fascinating healthcare profession, including how to become a respiratory therapist, what to look for in training, and how to get started.
Graduates of Carrington’s Veterinary Technology program are ready to do clinical tasks, including carrying out various medical tests and treating medical ailments and diseases in animals, while working under the supervision of a qualified veterinarian.
Veterinary technologists and technicians provide a range of clinical, caregiving, and laboratory duties. Here are some things you’ll learn:
- Surgical assisting.
- Anesthesia for veterinary technicians.
- Basic anatomy and physiology.
- Large animal medicine.
A veterinary technician reports to a licensed veterinarian, the technician’s supervisor. Most of the time, veterinary technologists and technicians work at private clinics and animal hospitals. Research facilities, academic institutions, and humane societies are all possible places of employment for them.
In a laboratory context, veterinary technicians may be responsible for performing diagnostic tests, analyzing samples, and developing vaccinations to diagnose and treat various animal diseases.
At other times, they interact with pet owners and provide them with instructions while working in private therapeutic practice. They could be able to assist veterans with operations or other projects like biomedical research.
The cost of a Veterinary Technology program depends on the school’s location and the availability of any scholarships or grants the student has access to. Utilize the net price calculator if you want a quick estimate of how much your Carrington College tuition might cost.
It is possible to graduate from a veterinary technology program in as little as one year or as long as two years, depending on your institution’s criteria for a certificate, diploma, or degree.
Carrington College offers an Associate Degree curriculum that you can complete in as little as 19 months, during which students also have the opportunity to prepare for the Veterinary Technician National Examination.
The Veterinarian Assisting curriculum at Carrington College equips students with the clinical, laboratory, and administrative responsibilities necessary for entry-level work as a veterinary assistant. You will learn;
- Medical surgery and supporting techniques.
- Veterinary hospital practices.
- Animal nursing and care.
Technology and tools like anesthesia machines, autoclaves, blood pressure monitors, heart monitors, microchip scanners, microscopes, scales, stethoscopes, and exam tables help students learn.
To assist veterinarians with their regular work, veterinary assistants perform routine animal care. Caretakers of laboratory animals and veterinary assistants work full-time and occasionally on holidays or weekends. This market will grow further with the animal rights movement and the demand for improved pet care techniques.
Though you don’t want to spend years in school, have you always wanted to work in a veterinary environment? A profession as a veterinary assistant can be a suitable fit for you in such a case. In various positions, veterinary assistants aid licensed personnel in clinical settings and veterinary offices by performing technical duties.
The following duties are for veterinary assistants and carers of laboratory animals, according to the BLS:
- Caring for, cleaning up after, and exercising pets.
- Keeping cages, kennels, waiting areas, and exam rooms clean and germ-free.
- Securing animals in restraints during examinations and experimental experiments.
- Upkeep and sterilization of surgical tools and equipment.
- Monitoring and postoperative care for animals.
- Assisting in the delivery of immediate first assistance to sick and injured animals.
- Administering drugs or vaccinations that veterinarians have prescribed.
- Aiding in the collection of tissue, blood, and urine samples.
Carrington’s Electrical Technology program graduates acquire skills to work on various household and commercial electrical systems. You will learn;
- Blueprint reading.
- Commercial, residential, and industrial wiring.
Lighting, appliances, equipment, motors, and control systems can all be part of an electrician’s electrical system designs, installs, maintenance, and repairs in residential houses or commercial buildings. Electricians can work inside and outside buildings depending on the systems that need repair or where they are. Among the possible duties are:
- Creating electrical plans for new structures or dwellings.
- Interpreting schematics, circuit programming, and other technical papers so that you can install and repair systems to the best of your ability.
- Setting up electrical, lighting, and control systems following local regulations.
- Attaching wiring to fixtures and components to build electrical circuits.
- Setting up relays, circuit breakers, and other electrical control devices.
- Setting up hangers and brackets to hold up electrical goods.
- Performing tune-ups and maintenance to ensure that wiring, lighting, and control systems are in good operating order.
- Examining transformers, circuit breakers, and other electrical parts.
- Using equipment to conduct tests to find out why systems are malfunctioning.
- Upgrading, replacing and repairing damaged or out-of-date fixtures, wiring, and equipment.
Do you prefer to understand how electrical systems, such as those in lights and appliances, operate? Do your instincts advise you to try to identify the source and work out how to fix an electrical system or device if it malfunctions? If so, earning a certificate or degree as an electrician might be the best choice for you.
Most students who pursue a diploma in electrical technology intend to become electricians. Electricians can choose to work for a union, a private corporation, or themselves as independent contractors. They can design, install, maintain, and repair the electrical system in residential residences or commercial buildings.
The installation and maintenance of electrical systems are the primary objectives of the broad field of study known as electrical technology. The course at Carrington College California that aids students in learning the fundamental theories, uses, ideas, and operations of electrical circuits is Electrical Technology.
Students in Carrington’s Electrical Technology program can receive their Certificate of Achievement in as little as ten months; however, earning a degree is a personal journey that can take more or less time, depending on various reasons.
Carrington’s Maintenance Technician program graduates to operate and maintain machinery and parts, carry out sophisticated hydraulic testing procedures, and program, install and perform diagnostic operations on programmable logic controllers. You will learn:
- Basic industrial electricity.
- Programmable logic controllers.
- Fluid power.
- Power transmission.
As stated by the U.S. Industrial machinery mechanics and machinery maintenance employees, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), maintain and repair factory equipment such as conveyor belts, production machinery, and packaging machines.
Industrial machinery mechanics, maintenance personnel, and millwrights may perform the following typical job functions:
- Reading technical manuals to comprehend controls and equipment.
- When there is a problem, disassemble machinery and equipment.
- Replacing or fixing damaged or faulty parts.
One must learn technical skills to execute work functions since industrial machinery mechanics fix and maintain machinery. Still, certain soft talents may aid, such as:
- Quality assurance evaluation.
- Solving complex problems.
- Reasoning and making decisions.
- Managing time.
Industrial machinery mechanics often need a GED or high school education. Still, following graduation, most require an initial test to check the machine is functioning properly.
- Finding minor issues by running simple diagnostic checks.
- Checking malfunctioning equipment to see if extensive repairs are necessary.
- Setting up and calibrating gear and equipment to meet ideal specifications.
- Lubricating and cleaning gear or equipment.
- Equipment and machinery in motion.
A trade career might be ideal if you like building things with your hands. Maintenance technicians focus on large-scale machinery. Numerous occupations fall under the category of industrial maintenance. Each position, from industrial mechanics to maintenance technicians, is specific to one type of heavy machinery.
In essence, industrial machinery mechanics are mechanics with a focus on large-scale machinery. They could do diagnostics, clean and maintain equipment, or repair and maintain machinery.
Graduates of Carrington’s dental hygiene program are ready to collaborate with doctors of dentistry to provide oral care and promote good health. You will learn;
- Preventative dentistry.
- Head and neck anatomy.
- Oral biology.
- General and oral pathology.
A dental hygienist is what? The dental hygienist is frequently the first person patients contact when they arrive for a dental examination. A dental hygienist gets patients ready for a dentist’s review. Dental hygienists carry out tasks like:
- Maintain patient dental health data and procedures.
- Take dental X-rays.
- Use dental tools to clean teeth and eliminate tartar, stains, and plaque.
- Use sealants.
- Treat fluoride-containing water.
- Inform patients on properly caring for their teeth, including the best methods for at-home brushing, flossing, and mouthwash.
Dental hygienists may make dentists aware of cavities or gum problems while they clean patients’ teeth. They ask patients about their oral hygiene practices and check for conditions like gingivitis.
As oral health has direct links to overall health, dental hygienists assist people in maintaining this vital aspect of well-being. Dental hygienists collaborate with dentists to treat dental patients. They help individuals learn improved oral hygiene practices for their teeth, gums, and mouths.
Carrington’s Dental Hygiene program can be completed in less than two years, while everyone’s education is unique, and the length of a program can vary depending on several personal circumstances.
Depending on location, course load, and financial aid, dental hygiene programs might cost different amounts. Please refer to the Academic Catalog for detailed information on current program pricing.
Both dental hygienists and dental assistants are crucial members of the dental team. Most of a dental hygienist’s day comprises caring for patients’ teeth. A dental assistant may perform additional administrative duties while working under the direction of a dentist.
Dental hygienists are dental health professionals with the qualifications to offer therapeutic, educational, and preventive services to advance oral health and manage oral illness. They conduct dental X-rays, apply fluoride, and apply fissure sealants while observing and documenting any anomalies and issues in the patients’ mouths.
The provision of periodontal therapies such as root planing and eliminating plaque, calculus, and stains from teeth are additional duties.
Other Educational Opportunities (Such as Externships and Internships)
There are no internships or externships at Carrington College-San Leandro.
What Else Do They Offer Besides Education
Carrington College-San Leandro offers only educational services.
The following are departments and the courses under them;
- Medical Assisting
- Health Studies – Degree Completion
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Nursing Bridge/LVN to ADN
- Practical Nursing/Vocational Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Radiography (X-ray)
- Pharmacy Technology
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Physical Therapy Technology
- Respiratory Therapist Education
- Surgical Technology
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene
- Veterinary Assisting
- Veterinary Technology
Trades and Industrial Programs
- Electrical Technology
- Maintenance Technician
Recreational Student Activities in Stockton
Rejuvenate You Wellness Spa
The objective of this wellness spa is to assist clients in achieving healthy skin and a healthy body through skin care procedures, massage, hydrafacials, chiropractic adjustments, waxing, eyelash extensions, weight loss procedures, and high-quality items.
Tony Lema Course at Monarch Bay
This course is the second-longest in California. It offers expansive views of San Francisco Bay from every hole.
Marina Course at Monarch Bay
This is a nine-hole golf course with expansive greens and fairways bordered by trees.
Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline
Seven non-reservable group picnic sites between tree berms and recently planted turf along the multipurpose pathways. The perimeter trail offers expansive Bay views, while the inside trails lead to an observation spot topped by “Rising Wave,” a sculpture by Roger Berry.
Toilet facilities are by the picnic area and new grass area on the two-mile Bay Trail that circles the property’s perimeter from the Neptune gate to the “Bill Lockyer Bridge.”
An 18-hole disc golf course opened in December 2021 is one of the new attractions. Additionally, there is a garden with 300 plants that bloom from autumn through winter, giving overwintering Monarchs nectar to help them endure the cold and migrate in the spring.
Black Sheep Bike Rental
Pro-level carbon road, aluminum, hybrid, and mountain bikes are available in the San Francisco Bay Area from Black Sheep Adventures (previously UDC). Their position near Oakland International Airport is within San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Palo Alto, and other cities.
If you desire to join Carrington College-San Leandro, don’t hesitate. It is among the best colleges you can join for your veterinary studies. You can attend physical classes or join online Carrington College. You can check their website and see the Carrington college reviews available online for more information about the college.